Monday, March 16, 2009

Erin Go Bragh! The Chicago River is Green

A modern day miracle occurs each year as part of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade celebration when the Chicago River turns an incredible shade of Irish green. This spectacular transformation ranks right up there with the parting of the sea by Moses and the Pyramids of Egypt, according to the linked website, "The Story Behind Dyeing the River."

For the past 43 years the Chicago River turns green for the St. Patrick’s Day Parade celebration. One would ask how this is different from the rest of the year when the river is always a murky shade of green. The difference is both significant and breathtaking because the color green is identical to the greens of Ireland from where it got its name “The Emerald Isle.”

This is a very interesting website, so be sure and click the title link for the rest of the story and great pictures and video. Curious about how they dye the river? Don't worry it isn't toxic.

As you can imagine, it really is quite a sight to see! I saw the green Chicago River several times years ago. My pictures suck, but I found this great photo at Creative Commons. I love Chicago and lived near there many years ago, when I worked at Richton Park--a suburb as far south in Cook County as you can get. I was never bored living in Chicagoland. Chicago is still one of my favorite cities to visit, and I have returned many times, since there is so much to see and do there. The St. Patrick's Day celebration is just one more reason to visit, if you need one!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

HalfCrazy said...

LOL when I clicked the link, and saw the green river, I thought they don't mean literally turning it to green but cleaning it or something LOL.

I think it's a beautiful idea to celebrate St. Patrick's day!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Flag Counter (Since July 6, 2009)

free counters