Sunday, March 1, 2009

On This Day...

...in history, on March 1, 1692, in Salem Village, in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, the Salem witch trials began.

Four women were the first to be charged. Sarah Good, Sarah Osborne and Tituba are brought before local magistrates in Salem Village, Massachusetts, beginning what would become known as the Salem witch trials.

Now it is an even bigger tourist destination than it was during my visit. Salem, Massachusetts was one of the many stops during a two week vacation throughout the east coast back in the eighties. I loved spending a few days in Boston, but I could not wait to get to Salem.

I learned more about the Salem witch trials than I ever imagined! Even though I took a lot of pictures, I didn't have a very good camera, and I was, and still am just an amateur photographer. So, no need to share a bunch of dark pictures. Our day in Salem ended at a nice seafood restaurant overlooking the Atlantic ocean.

I like to use "this day in history" to tie into my own lifetime travels. I will do these kinds of posts occasionally. Back then, on this trip we were able to travel more freely as our store had a larger staff. For the past several years, it has been next to impossible to take a vacation together. We simply do not have a big enough staff to keep our store open in our absence, and closing would be foolish. I look forward to the day, when we can travel with each other more often. I have taken a few trips by myself though! Together, we can only take short trips-- not only because of work, but also all the farm chores. For now I will settle for reminiscing...and dreaming about our future travels... or travel alone, or with other friends and family.

























This photo above is one I took of the Salem Witch Museum. Obviously it is right in town on the corner of a busy intersection. In the left part of the picture you can see a witch statue on top of a large rock. I'm sure there are thousands of better photos of the museum at flickr and various websites.



















Yes, that is me in the cemetery. Hey, don't laugh at my short shorts! They were in style at the time in 1987. I do look so respectful though, don't I? LOL I was fascinated at all the old tombstones at Old Burying Point, also known as Charter Street Cemetery. It is the oldest cemetery in Salem, and the second oldest known cemetery in the country, started in 1637. It is located on Charter Street, next to the Witch Trials Memorial.





















Here is another shot of some of the tombstones. Due to the lighting, I couldn't get good pictures of some of the creepiest monuments. If you are morbidly curious, be sure and click on the link for some great photos (highly recommended). It was touching to read some of the old tombstones; that they died of consumption-- means they died of tuberculosis, or the different symbols on the graves such as the cherubs versus the skull and crossbones. You will see it all, and they date back to 1637 and include the grave of a passenger of the Mayflower, Captain Richard More, as well as a judge and others that were involved in the Salem Witch Trials.

By the way, there is more to Salem than witches. It is also the birthplace of Nathaniel Hawthorne, author of "The Scarlet Letter." His famous "House of Seven Gables" is right there at 54 Turner Street. I'll probably show that picture on another day that will honor this great author.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

HalfCrazy said...

LOL that was you in 1987? You look different! :P And lol, you've got a lot of courage to be standing amidst those tombstones!

Went to the Old Burying Point link and you're right, the photos were creepy but very, very interesting!

Much Love,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Flag Counter (Since July 6, 2009)

free counters