Wednesday, April 8, 2009

April is National Poetry Month


I just realized it is National Poetry Month. I appreciate a good poem, because I am not very good at writing poetry and realize it takes some skill. My daughter always wrote poems, filling up notebooks, ever since she was a little girl. She was really writing song lyrics though. She went through a little goth period, and wrote some dark poems. That was about the time I found a book on Marilyn Manson. Let's just say, the book disappeared.
I have an aunt who actually published a book of poetry called "Echoes of Hope." It was part of a domestic violence project she worked on at a shelter, where she has volunteered for over thirty years! If I can get her permission, I will publish one on the blog. Some of the poems are very sad though, but many are very empowering.
But for now, I must get some work done! It is a very slow work day, but you know what they say..."if you have time to lean, you have time to clean." Hey, I'm a poet and didn't even know it! A rhyme, every time! LOL
Do you write poetry? Do you have a favorite poem? If you do, this would be a good month to post one on your blog. If you have never written a poem, it could be a good challenge! I'll be sure to check out your blogs later, especially if you leave a comment.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

HalfCrazy said...

Haha, cool, I didn't know that. This month is also Autism Awareness, haha! Just thought I had to put that in LOL.

Does your daughter want to be a songwriter? John, you now have tickets to the music industry, haha!

I'm not a poet myself, I just enjoy reading ones. I don't even have a favorite poem as I'm not really into them! I forgot most of the poems discussed in my classes!

John said...

As always, thanks for the comment. I have a friend whose son has autism. I'm going to check in to that and see what I should to help with awareness.

No, she doesn't want to be a songwriter... as a young teen she had a guitar and big dreams. It didn't last once she got married, etc.

Mary Ellen said...

Here's a little ditty that I remember saying as a kid....

Look, look, you dirty crook
You stole my mama's pocketbook
You turned it in
You turned it out
You turned it into...
Sauerkraut!

Hmmm....sounds like an appropriate poem to our Congress/Senate and Prez.

That's all I can give you today, and I don't have a blog, so ya get what ya get. ;-)

John said...

@Mary Ellen, haha that was cute! I can picture a little girl saying that, probably to a boy before she slaps him LOL! At least you can remember an actual poem!

Now you know those elected officials wouldn't read a that, since they don't even read the bills that they vote on!

Thanks for the comment and hey you can blog or microblog in my comments anytime LOL

@Samantha, thank you so much for the nice compliments! I'm glad you like the blog and keep coming back.

It's still a work in progress and I had planned on breaking it up into several blogs devoted to one type of discussion, or niche, if you will...but I have had so many people tell me that they like the wide variety of things I cover. I try to keep it a little humorous and hope to do more creative writing posts rather than my brief thoughts on something to link to, but it takes so much time to do that.

Hey, I like the craigslist blog and hope to see it fill up with content. It's a shame more people in my area do not use it!

I have a cousin in NYC who actually met her fiance on craigslist! Around here CL seems mostly for quick hook ups! People just don't seem to utilize it here (like for sale, etc) like they do in the rest of the country. I don't understand why.

Anyway, thanks so much for the comment and hope to see more!

HalfCrazy said...

Aww, sad that she didn't get to pursue those things. But hey, she's a Mom now! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Flag Counter (Since July 6, 2009)

free counters