Friday, April 3, 2009

Iowa Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage

Another victory for equal rights! Most of you have already heard by now, but I too want to say that I am so happy to hear this news. And I was happy to see it all over the blogesphere all day long, since early this morning! Is anyone surprised? Remember it was Iowa that gave Barack Obama a jump start into the race for the White House!


WHAT HAPPENED: Iowa Supreme Court justices ruled unanimously that Iowa Code section 595.2(1) is unconstitutional. The one-sentence law, passed in 1998, declares that “only a marriage between a male and a female is valid.”

WHAT IT DOES: The decision affirms the 2007 ruling by a Polk County judge in a lawsuit brought by six gay and lesbian couples. The couples all had been denied marriage licenses by the Polk County recorder’s office.

WHAT IT MEANS: Iowa soon will become the first Midwestern state, and the fourth nationwide, to allow same-sex marriages. The justices’ decision says their ruling “becomes effective upon issuance of procedendo,” a legal order that actually implements the decision announced Friday.

Click the title link to read the rest of "Today's ruling at a glance," (THE ARGUMENTS, WHAT IT MEANS FOR CHURCHES, AND WHAT'S NEXT) from the DesMoinesRegister.com.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Shoshana said...

That is great news. I have no idea why it has to be so hard to get married, even if same sex. The gov't should just be glad that people still want to get married.

John said...

@Shoshana, I couldn't agree with you more! Thank you so much for visiting my little ole blog and for leaving a great comment!

Yes, you would think the government would want more marriages! Plus they make money every time they issue a marriage license. Just think of the money people spend on weddings, especially a lavish wedding! That would sure stimulate the economy!

RockstarMama said...

This was in the Vegas paper this morning and I almost choked on Lucky Charms. AWESOME!!! I lived in Iowa for three years, and due to that experience I can say I'm shocked. Not a wide cross-section of diversity there. GO EQUAL RIGHTS!!! Rights kick ass.

John said...

@Kaiton, I love your comment, glad you didn't choke on your Lucky Charms LOL! I know, who would've thought IOWA out of all places!

I hope they don't pull a prop 8!

Thanks for commenting : )

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Flag Counter (Since July 6, 2009)

free counters