Friday, April 10, 2009

Forsythia In Bloom




















Early this evening I walked around the farm to see if I could find something different to photograph for the blog, and there it was as big as day--the giant Forsythia bush. This is so big--about ten feet wide and twelve feet tall! It is visible from the highway, which you can see out in the distance. It has been blooming for several weeks now, as it is an early Spring bloomer. Finally the grass is getting thicker and greener too...haven't had to mow yet though!

I missed the cherry blossoms! Just as the three cherry trees started to bloom, the temperature dropped just below freezing--enough to stop the beautiful cherry blossom show. For the last month the weather has been all over the place. Some days were warm, and some days like today were rather cool. This will make it very tricky to know just when to plant anything. In this zone it's usually best to wait until mid May to plant most annuals. It is nice to have a good mix of annuals and perennials to have something constantly in bloom.

It's hard to believe that Easter is less than two days away and our tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths still haven't bloomed yet. Usually by this time of year daffodils are sprouting up everywhere. My tulips have big green buds, but are not yet showing color. Once the tulips are in full bloom, they will just get beat down by the high winds! It never fails. Not only is the farm somewhat out in the open with very few trees, but we are also located in tornado alley. So it is always very windy in the Spring here.

The old Lilac tree is covered in buds, so it should be putting on quite a show soon. Last year we had a cold snap after the Lilacs started to bud, and it kept them from blooming. I'm hoping the same thing won't happen this year. If they bloom, I'll be sure and take some photos.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

HalfCrazy said...

The last time you showed a picture of your farm, I think the grass was not THIS greener and abundant LOL. Beautiful to see a blooming Forsythia in the middle of the farm!

Hoping to see your tulips, daffodils and hyacinths! I've seen pictures of it in other blogs and they look awesome, beautiful and colorful!

themom said...

You have a beautiful plot of land. I admire those who can get things to grow...I am so not one of them. But this is my favorite time of year, with all the plants starting out and giving new color to the surroundings.

Mary Ellen said...

Just as my daffodils bloomed, we got three inches of snow...sigh.

I left an Easter message for you and others at my old blog, Bad Habit. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

page has been digged and bookmarked, Thankx
http://www.mp3salem.com/

Anonymous said...

i think that plant is very cool! i like its color. i have not seen a cheery blossom yet though in tv it looks so wonderful! i wish you could post photos so i could see them again LOL

John said...

@bigsmash, thanks! Wow, what a great mp3 site you have...I will be back to check it out further, when I have more time!

Ron Centeno said...

Hi John, thanks for dropping by!

Nice land you have there! How many acres? Last year I noticed that the flowers were blooming late like this year.

Spring is my favorite season of the year.

Allen said...

John,

Hey the picture looks great, and the farm too.

I have been away for about a month, I am back. Long story for me to write.

Allen

John said...

@themom, thank you for the compliment! I agree it does look pretty nice, but of course I try not to show anything ugly, like the garage, and buildings that need painted LOL

@HalfCrazy, you are right, the grass was not this green in previous pics! We had some rain and sunny days and it didn't take long to green up! I've been told other people didn't have the daffodil problem and that mine probably got damaged by moles! And Forsythia is like a weed here! Everyone with any kind of landscaping seems to grow it--it requires zero maintenance!

@Mary Ellen, I only have 3 crappy clumps of tulips--still no color! For you there's always hope for next year! I gave up on tulips. Years ago a big patch of red tulips surrounded my back patio...not sure what happened. Surrounding plants might have choked them out or moles damaged them!

@prinesamusang, I'm sorry I didn't get pictures of the cherry blossoms! They froze off almost as quick as they bloomed! I usually have big vases of them in my house, but I missed that this year too!

@Ron Centeno, you are so welcome for the blog visit. You have a blog like nothing I've ever seen! I have about 3.75 acres...used to have 4, until the highway got widened; the state took some of the frontage and paid me a check! Unfortunately they had to take out some trees too. My house sits pretty far back with deep front yard. The driveway almost seperates the property with an implement building, barn and pasture on the other side of the driveway, house and garage & smaller barn on the other. It is a lot of work to keep up. There's two of us here, but we still usually pay someone to help mow. Thanks so much for stopping by...I feel priviledged!

John said...

@allen, thank you for the compliments and thanks for stopping by. I was starting to wonder what happened to you. Hope you stay in touch after you move! You should have a lot of things to blog about!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Flag Counter (Since July 6, 2009)

free counters