Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Secretary's Day and Earth Day today



I'm behind on my blogging activities, reading my favorite blogs, leaving comments and of course adding some content to my own. I actually went to bed early last night to get to work earlier today, since it's Secretary's Day. Administrative Professionals Day is the politically correct title. It is a busy time at work for us, but each year it becomes less and less. Everyone waits until the last minute though, so that's one thing that doesn't change from year to year.




Today is also Earth Day, so I'll probably plant a tree after work. We have already rooted our own cuttings from the big Curly Willow tree in the back yard. In the last two years our biggest tree in the back yard has been losing more and more large branches due to ice storms, lightning and high winds. That tree looks awful! It's barely alive at this point.

I hope all the clerical workers have a nice day at work, and if you want to find out more about Earth Day, here's a link.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I remember back in the day when they still called it Secretary's Day and I worked as an Executive Secretary for the VP. All the secretaries would come into work and find a small floral arrangement on their desks (the executive sec's received larger ones). Anyway, I thought that was strange because the rest of the year the guys treated all the women in the office as if they were less than human. The misogyny was rampant in that place! Which doesn't surprise me because it was an Engineering firm that did all their business with Iran and Iraq. But on Secretary's Day....we got flowers. ;-)

libhom said...

Good on you for planting the tree.

John said...

@Mary Ellen, I don't think much has changed as far as what I call the "support staff." They are still treated less than human all year and then get some token "Secretary's Day" flower or lunch.

Funny thing, a friend of mine works for a local branch of government and she said they got nothing for Sec.Day, but the boss wasn't there, so they considered that the Secretary's Day gift and enjoyed it!

@libhom, I almost feel a duty to plant at least one tree a year, since I'm on a big plot of land. Thanks for the comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Flag Counter (Since July 6, 2009)

free counters