Saturday, April 25, 2009

Honest Scrap Award!

Wow, another award for me! Or is it? I've heard it's kinda a pseudo award (a tag perhaps), but it still makes me feel special. Thanks to themom for passing this on to me in her recent post, which I feel so honored to accept. TheMom's blog Attentive Aphorist is frequently updated and utterly awesome! I hope you check it out!

“This award is bestowed upon a fellow blogger whose blog content or design is, in the giver’s opinion, brilliant.”

"Scrap means left over, fragments, discarded material. Many times truth and honesty are discarded material, considered fragments and left over. People like us need to tell it like it is, and let the scraps fall where they will.

I must admit that I don't mind one bit getting an award. I hope that's enough bragging (see #1 below). But passing the torch is not so easy, as I learned with my first Award. Some people (and you know who you are!) for one reason or another just don't want to pick out a chosen few to receive the same award, which is a shame, because it stops the circulation. Why not make someone's day. They may be feeling down and this small token might just cheer them up and make them feel appreciated. It did that for me.

I hope everyone who receives this award will keep it going, even if they feel the need to make it easy and say, "hey, if you're on my blogroll, consider yourself awarded this Honest Scrap Award." After all the rules say a "minimum" of seven blogs that you find brilliant in content or design. Unfortunately, if you do that the recipient may not feel they really deserve it, and may not pick it up. Whatever... it's up to you--those of you that receive the award. I think you deserve some recognition, but I can't make you accept it, but I hope you do!

These are the rules and the instructions for the 'chosen ones:

1.You must brag about the award

2.You must include the name of the blogger who bestowed the award on you and link back to the blogger

3.You must choose a minimum of seven (7) blogs that you find brilliant in content or design. Or you may improvise by including bloggers who have no idea who you are because you don’t have seven friends (hey, I haven't been actively blogging that long myself)!

4.Show their names and links and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with Honest Weblog. Or think of it this way--show the seven random victims' names and links and leave a harassing comment informing them that they were prized with Honest Weblog Award. Well, there's no prize, but they can keep the nifty icon.

5.List at least ten (10) honest things about yourself. Then pass it on with the instructions!

Now I have to contribute TEN (10) things about me....so here we go:

Back in January I did a "six things you don't know about me" meme similar to this, so I will list some random different things now.

  1. I gotta have my morning coffee! But that is the only time of day I drink it, and to keep my teeth white, I brush afterwards!
  2. I frequently have insomnia, which is another reason I only drink coffee in the morning.
  3. I like to dress comfortably at home, which is usually shorts and t shirts in the summer and sweat pants and oversize sweat shirts in the winter. As soon as I get home, I change and I never wear shoes in the house, except for Adidas slides that are never worn outside.
  4. I love to dress up in nice clothes and shoes and look my best, just give me a good reason!
  5. I love dark chocolate! The darker, the better. That means less sugar. I don't eat many other sweets unless it's a special occasion.
  6. I don't like texting. I think I would, if I had a qwerty keyboard, but I don't. I love my phone and paid a lot of money for it, and it has many features not found in other phones. For that reason I will continue to use it as long as I can stand it. I will send out some text messages, but I don't enjoy it. It takes me forever!
  7. I can't resist a bargain, especially if it is something that I use frequently. In that case I will buy mass quantities. I try to buy regularly used items only when they are on sale.
  8. My favorite store is Trader Joe's.
  9. I'm an expert video poker player.
  10. I have stayed in touch with my high school sweetheart for thirty one years. She lives in Phoenix and we still call and email each other. We are close and confide in each other.
I'm happy to pass this award on to the following great and well deserved bloggers, and I know they won't brag too much about their own blogs, so I will help them out with that:

1. HalfCrazy is a very popular young lady, who has been blogging for five years. She is a college student, but still finds time to update her blog An Ardent Cosmic Journey every two or three days. She is well known for her beautiful story telling photography, especially on Fridays, when she participates in a ring of "town shoot outs." These photo shoots feature a different theme each week and links are provided for all who participate.

2. AllenMcalister is a blogger whose content includes many personal things in his life. His blog Allen McAlister.com has featured many "how to" projects, home videos, and some creative computer artwork, especially for holidays. Once Allen didn't post anything for several weeks and I missed his blogging. I'm glad as he states in a latest post "He's back." I was beginning to worry!

3. libhom describes himself as "the epitome of evil to the Religious Right." His blog Godless Liberal Homo is chalked full of daily content dealing with his thoughts on anything from the latest news, to his strong stance against the war in Iraq, to ending homophobia, and anything else that strikes a chord with him. He has a very thought provoking blog. He's got guts!

4. Blonde Goddess is a truly gifted writer. Even though she has explained in a recent post how she comes up with her snarky commentary complete with the funniest photos and captions that you will find anywhere, I still don't know how she does it! Her blog posts are short, fun and easy to read. I guarantee you will laugh your ass off at her blog--that is if you have an adult sense of humor! Not for the faint of heart Huh? The Blonde Goddess is Confused is the funniest original content I have ever found in a blog. She is most deserving of this award!

5. If the profile is there, sorry I could not find it. I'm talking about the blogger named Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein at Monkey Muck. This was one of the first blogs that caught my attention and had me visiting it everyday. You could look at his flickr photos and scans for days! Dr. Monkey will keep you coming back for more with his frequently updated content. He has some regular features like his "Pop Culture Friday" posts, movie reviews, news commentary, politics (and believe me, he is no republican), and so much more. Some days will feature the most beautiful "Barn of the Week" photos and sometimes you will see pictures of the most bizarre images ever, especially those from the past. I must say I absolutely love it, when he mentions certain family members that he'd rather not run in to! That is so ME, and I can totally relate! Dr. Monkey is truly deserving of this award for the content mention and also the design of the blog. If you visit the blog often, you will notice the header is almost always different--with a monkey theme, of course! I love this blog, and I think you will too.

6. Another blogger profile that I couldn't find is Mary Ellen of Bad Habit. You can't miss the long disclaimers and copyright along the right column. That in itself is a must read! Unfortunately, she has recently taken a leave of absence from blogging to spend more time with her family. After she announced her retirement from blogging and didn't update for over a month, I didn't want to take her off my blogroll, but I also don't like to keep blogs listed if they don't update very often. That problem was solved, when I gave her a widget link, "She's a hard habit to break" that you will find at the end of my blogroll. "Nunly" as she is also known by will hold nothing back, when it comes to politics! She is from Chicagoland and you will find original political material that you won't find elsewhere and no one is off limits when it comes to Chicago politicians (and some who now reside in Washington). Luckily for us, Nunly has posted a few blogs since her previous intentions to stop blogging! And don't let the politics scare you off, because she will post on anything and everything--whatever is on her mind at the time. Even if she never makes another post, her archives are very much worth reading. This is one smart cookie! And her design is brilliant with it's hilarious nun pictures. What a perfect title for this blog, Bad Habit!

7. Rick Owens says he is just your typical gwm. I'd say he is very modest and anything but typical. At his Travelingman Rick's Blog you will get to read about his latest travel adventures, which by the way are all over the world. He loves to blog about politics and is very good at it. He knows his stuff. I love reading about his life in Charlotte with his friends, his dogs, and his never ending work on his beautiful house. What I love most about this blog is the intense personal details he will let out every now and then. He is human after all. I love reading the mixture of politics (and believe me, he is no republican either) and the latest events going on in his life. He is never boring and I wish he would post more often!

So there you have seven well deserved winners of this Honest Scrap Award. Please do check them out, when you get time. Hey, I already know many of you are on each others' blog rolls--small world!

As I said earlier, the hardest part is choosing seven blogs, when there are obviously many more just as deserving. In choosing these seven, I took into account some that I didn't name (Re-Re for example) have already received this award! Also, it is soooooo much work for me to write this with clarity and get all my links right. This post was a lot of work for me. I know, I know I didn't have to make it so long, but I did. For that reason, I am glad I just had to name seven other bloggers to receive this award. And I hope they each accept it and pass it on. Thanks.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congatulations John, nice award.

The name is a lovely example of the English language. Honest Scrap, when you say it, the "t" is silent, the two "s" combine, so you actually say "Honess Crap"; think about that. LOL

AV

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Thank you for all those kind words you said about my blog and for the award. You are too nice!

Allen said...

John,
I read this and about fell over, thanks so much for the award. I emailed all my friends from around the world and gave them this link.

I will write a blog soon, probably tomorrow about it. =o)

Thanks again,
Allen

themom said...

Excellent job dude. Unfortunately my coffee consumption extends further into the day. Bad, bad me!

Mary Ellen said...

Well, congrats on your new award, kiddo! You certainly deserve it.
And thanks for passing on that award to me and all the nice things you said about my blog, you're a doll! I'll be sure to acknowledge both awards you gave me next week. I didn't mean to ignore the first one,just trying to get by "blog legs" back.

Hope you have a great weekend. ;-)

John said...

@Argentum Vulgaris, thank you! And that is also the first thing I thought of "honess crap!"

@Dr. Monkey, you are so welcome! I'm glad you like my summary. I know I left out some other regular features of your blog, like the recipes! I'm still going to make that flatbread, among others!

@Allen, I am so glad you started blogging again, and I hope this gives you incentive to keep at it. You should be proud, you deserve this award! Congrats! And you are so welcome.

@theMom, thank you so much for the award and the compliment on my blog post about it! I really appreciate your interest in my blog. Thanks again!

@MaryEllen, thank you! Wow, so many compliments! Don't worry about any time frame or obligation on the awards. I hope I got everything right that I said about BAD HABIT and didn't leave too much out! Thanks again!

libhom said...

Thanks for the award. It's a great opportunity to spread the solidarity.

Blonde Goddess said...

I just got my internet fixed and although I'm late thanking you, I still had to do it.
Thank you for the nice comments you made about my blog as well.
I guess I don't really think of myself as funny....just crazy..LOL!

John said...

@libhom, you are so welcome!

@Blonde Goddess, You are very welcome! Glad to see you back online again, yaaay! You can be funny and crazy! Nothing wrong with that!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Flag Counter (Since July 6, 2009)

free counters